Monday, June 22, 2009

Day One

Today I went to my first class at Middlebury University, which is about a 10 minute walk from my hotel. My instructor seems really cool and one of his assignments is to blog the rest of this trip, which is fantastic for me since I was already planning on doing this. I am a little worried about not having my computer because I think I really am the only person without a laptop. My instructor said that it wouldn't be a problem, but doing my assignments would be more difficult because I won't be able to do as many as things with technology (like uploading pictures and stuff), which kind of sucks but oh well. For my first assignment, I have to go with a few other students to this really famous restaurant Casa Labra, which is supposed to be really close to the hotel.

During the orientation meeting, the director made a huge point about how important it is to have a cell phone and stuff, so some of us went to a store called Corte Ingles and bought a cheap one (only 19 euros). It took a while to understand how many minutes were on the phone because of the slight language barrier, but I am pretty confident that I understand everything. I don't really plan to use it, but I suppose that is will be nice to have.

And Becky, I bought some cute white and brown sandals at a local store.

All of the meals in Madrid, except for breakfast, are on us, but tonight the program is taking us out to dinner at some pizza place, so I am super excited (and hungry). Voy a comer, adios!

Rachael

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael,
    I am so excited to be reading about your Spanish adventures. Buena suerte-sounds like you have a good grasp on things. P.S. El corte ingles turned out to be one of my favorite stores-the only one where I could find peanut butter!

    Chao,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Above commenter is your cousin katie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, thanks Katie! I figured it was you anyway :)

    ReplyDelete