Thursday, July 9, 2009

Second week in Salamanca






We didn´t have class on Monday because we had to take a placement exam for our other 2 classes that would be starting on Tuesday. After that, I stood in a line to sign up for excursions given by the program. My friends and I really wanted to sign up for the Sevilla & Granada trip, so we waited in the line for nearly two hours and when we got to the front, there were no more tickets left. We were pretty upset, but we are just planning our own trip for the same weekend and it is going to be way better. We went to a travel agent to get our transportation to the cities and I got to put my Spanish to good use. I think that we are going to be saving a solid chunk of money by doing the trip ourselves.

Tuesday was the start of my new classes. I have an art history class with an instructor named Jorge and a Spanish culture class with an instructor named Elena. Jorge is really good looking and is really interesting, which is surprising because art history isn´t something that I am extremely interested in. Elena is nice and talks super fast, but she makes the class fun and interactive. Tuesday night, I went out with a few friends to different bars and had a really good time. There is this girl name Caitlin that studied in Salamanca in the past and now is working here. She knows all the really great places to go and she is really nice.

Wednesday I went to class (now they start at 10 and go to 1:30, so I am slightly more tired than I was). My homework assignment from my U of M class (the one that I have had everyday since arriving) was to make lunch or dinner for my host family and the meal had to be something that you eat at home. I decided to make avgolemono with a dessert of vanilla ice cream with Sander´s fudge (For my host family present I brought Sander´s hot fudge, Mackinac Island fudge, a Michigan oven mit, and cherry tea from Michigan cherries). I cheated a little bit because I used chicken broth from a box versus boiling a chicken and deboning it and stuff, but it tasted pretty good. I think I added a little too much orange juice, but it was still good, but nowhere near as amazing as my Mom´s. Later that night, I met some friends in the Plaza and we just sat on a terrace and had sangrías and talked. It was really nice.

Thursday, all I did was go to class and then work on my presentation about making my avgolemeno. I sat on a bench for a while reading a book and two times I was mistaken for a native of Salamanca and people asked me for directions to certain places in the city. Fortunately, I knew both of the places that I was asked and could give them directions, so that was pretty cool. I went shopping a bit before dinner and bought some white shoes for 7 Euros for my trip to Pamplona this weekend. After dinner, I am sure that I will meet up with some people from the program and hang out in the city somewhere.

Friday I will go to class and then run to the bus station because I am going to PAMPALONA!! This week was the San Fermín festival of the running of the bulls, so I will be watching the bulls run on Saturday morning! Then I will be going to a city that is kind of close call San Sebastian. It is supposed to be beautiful with lots of great beaches and things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment